Friday, January 21, 2011

Great Expectations

Before taking this class's introductory survey, I would have labeled myself as someone who was pretty computer savvy. At the school where I work I'm the go-to person for help with most of the computer issues that our teachers have. However, I now realize that there are A LOT of tech tools available to me that I'm not only not using, but that I also don't know anything about.

First and foremost, I'd like to learn what all of the different tools do. Secondly, I'd like to consider real applications for a lot of these tools.

I'd like to work on using a blog effectively. A couple years ago I set up a blog where I planned on posting homework assignments and hints, book reviews, helpful links to projects, and news for parents. I stopped working on that blog when, after a full month, no one had viewed it. (I sent the address out to parents in my "Welcome Back" letter at the beginning of the year.)

I also want to learn how to set up some sort of discussion forum (maybe it would just be a modified blog...) for students. I think that a lot of students who are shy in class would feel empowered to voice their ideas if they could do so online.

1 comment:

  1. It is the appropriate application of these tools that is so important. The tools will change constantly and generally aren't developed by educators. As teachers we need to think about how our students learn and how we can set up the best environment to get them actively engaged in communicating, collaborating, and creating knowledge. We need to look at the characteristics of different types of tools and see what they have to offer.

    Your blog example is a very common experience. We can set up the tool, but we have to think about how it will be used by students. What would make them want to go to it and contribute?

    Those are some good questions to bring up as you look at each tool in this class.

    ReplyDelete