Sunday, February 20, 2011

Curriculum

Currently, our school is working on updating/changing the curriculum for every single course. We started this during the fall of 2010, and all courses are expected to have updated curriculum by May 2012.

Interestingly enough, our administrators haven't mentioned anything about incorporating technology goals in content area curriculum. Consequently, it seems like it is our (the educators') responsibility to be aware of the different technology standards that are recommended and incorporate them on our own.

I wonder, though, without being exposed to these goals in this course and being asked to think about them, would I have known to do so on my own?

I like to think yes, but the truth is (I think) that we as educators sort of pick and choose which educational topics we explore and focus on throughout the year. We all have so much work to do in our classrooms, that we can't keep up with everything.

How then, can we make sure that all students really do learn what people like Alan November and David Warlick suggest?

How I'll use it: I definitely plan on using Weebly right away next year. I plan on using the summer to really think about what I want to include on the website and then revealing it to parents at our autumn open house. Weebly also allows the use of a classroom blog. I think I'll start by having this be an elective blog, but later turning it into a requirement. (I plan on having students use the blog as a forum to respond to literature that we're reading in class and to make suggestions to their peers about books they're reading on their own.)

2 comments:

  1. You have some really nice ideas about implementing technology in your classroom. I like the idea about starting out slowly with an elective blog and then making it required. I think that students will produce interesting blogs that get better with time. They will even be able to look back at their own blogs (and the comments people made) to see their level of improvement. Nice idea...I might borrow it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As many schools are moving to the Core Common Standards, it's a perfect time to incorporate these 21st century skills that don't nicely fit into content categories. The tools will constantly change, but the skills students need in creativity, critical thinking, communication and collaboration will continue to be important. They fit into every classroom.

    ReplyDelete